Top 10 photo tips
1. Choose a camera you like, and the camera will like you.
2. Less is more : less gear brings better inspiration.
3. Cameras are umbrellas : it's when you forget them that you need them most.
4. Look at the scene, not at the screen - get ready for next shot instead.
5. Good light is the best ingredient.
6. Cameras and humans never see the world the same way.
7. The smartest custom function is your own imagination.
8. Quantity doesn’t bring quality.
9. Never get satisfied of your work.
10. Sometimes a scene deserves to be seen with your own eyes, not even through the lens.
Top 10 items almost always in my travel bag (apart from cameras)
1. Softshell and light pants (Patagonia, Mountain Hard Wear)
2. Swiss knife with built-in altimeter (Victorinox)
3. Automatic or solar watch (Seiko)
4. Waterproof bag (Sea to Summit)
5. Zipped pockets (Eagle Creek)
6. Notebook (Moleskine)
7. Mini carabiners (Edelrid)
8. Flip flops, even during ski trips (Havaianas)
9. Harmonica, the mountain-friendly instrument that Himalayan kids love (Hohner)
10. The bag itself : a 45 to 85 liter barrel (Tatonka)
Top 10 nights spent in the wild (so far…)
1. Iran, 2009 - during a heavy snow storm, in a shepherd shelter, Zagros Mountains
2. Azores, 2005 - full moon camping inside the summit caldeira of Pico Volcano (2351 m), Ilha do Pico
3. Nepal, 2008 - fondue at the basecamp of Damodar Glacier (5300 m), Damodar Himal
4. Norway, 2006 - in a tent carried halfway up Lodalskapa glacier, Breheimen
5. Mauritania, 2003 - in the vast desert south of Chinguetti
6. Bolivia, 1999 - on top of Isla del Pescador, Salar de Uyuni, Lipez Sur
7. Italia, 2007 - at Bivacco Leonessa surrounded by fresh snow, Gran Paradiso
8. Canary Islands, 2003 - on a desert beach near Almaciga, Tenerife
9. Indonesia, 2002 - at the high camp of Rinjani, Lombok
10. Tanzania, 2006 - camping in the middle of strange noises, Serengeti
Top 10 ski summits in the world (out of 300 and counting...)
1. Saribung 6328m, Damodar Himal, Nepal (2008)
2. Etna 3310m, Italy (2008)
3. Mount Rainier 4395m, Cascade Range, USA (2010)
4. Barre des Ecrins 4101m, Ecrins, France (1995)
5. Djebel Sannine 2600m, Lebanon (2004)
6. Stor Galten 1250m, Lyngsalpane, Norway (2005)
7. Mulhacen 3479m, Sierra Nevada, Spain (2011)
8. Tödi, 3614m, Switzerland (2016)
9. Palon de la Mare 3703m, Ortles, Italy (2015)
10. Monte Vettore 2470m, Abruzzi, Italy (2008)
Favorite 10 cities (for photography and beyond)
1. Lisboa, Portugal
2. Paris, France
3. Sao Paulo, Brazil
4. Istanbul, Turkey
5. Seattle, USA
6. Beijing, China
7. Jodhpur, India
8. Fes, Morocco
9. Valparaiso, Chile
10. Maputo, Mozambique